CLIPS AND COMMENTARY FROM CANADA'S BEST KNOWN UNDISCOVERED OLD WHITE BLUESMAN

Wednesday, February 10, 1993

Dance Hall Girls

The Black Swan. Dropped in to the Wednesday Night Jam after catching an early set of Michael Katz at a yuppie bar with a ceiling covered with stained glass lamps. They were hanging so close together that they had to be staggered so they wouldn’t knock each other. Imagine sitting there and listening to some stranger singing “Dance Hall Girls”. I can remember the day I came home from work and Allan played me the song “Look what I just wrote” and when was that? 1968? Anyway, they played the song on Gzowski and Allan got two calls to turn it on. Now I’ve got a tape to send him because the song is on Katz’s independent cassette (which he kept trying to sell me – he says it cost him $25,000 – but he finally gave me one to send to Allan. I just listened – he’s got “If I Were a Carpenter” on there too. Folk music lives. While in that club I approached John Punter, a producer friend of Michael’s who lived in England and produced Roxy Music and others. I mentioned that I knew this organization called Operation Go Home that helps runaways get back home – and that I had a perfect song that could be recorded by the group we had heard the week before at the Horseshoe – they were called “The Blame” and I’m sure they could cover my tune “Runaway”. So I’ve got to get him a tape.