CLIPS AND COMMENTARY FROM CANADA'S BEST KNOWN UNDISCOVERED OLD WHITE BLUESMAN

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

@EricBibb & MJB @HUGHSROOM


via Instagram @brianblain


Everybody who was there will tell you this was one of the best blues shows of the year. Eric Bibb is a bona fide blues star and Michael Jerome Brown is no slouch either. Together it was quite special - and that was the best acoustic guitar sound I've ever heard at Hugh's (thank you, Ann). Had a chance to visit with MJB after the show and reminded him about an impromptu recording we did on the last day of the "Overqualified" sessions in Montreal. I had this chord change and we just jammed on it - he played slide and mandolin. He didn't remember doing it, so I've dug it up here and Michael, if you're reading this, take a listen...



I call it my Tai Chi Timer because it lasts exactly 10 minutes and has the perfect rhythm for my Tai Chi set which, when done at the correct speed, should last about ten minutes. So if I end before the music, I know I was rushing. The images are from a lovely walk with Harry Manx in a park on Saltspring Island.