CLIPS AND COMMENTARY FROM CANADA'S BEST KNOWN UNDISCOVERED OLD WHITE BLUESMAN

Wednesday, June 26, 2019

ToJazz2019-day3



Day 3 of the jazz festival (Sunday) started with a soul-stirring performance by Shirley Caesar - Pastor Shirley Caeser, testifying and shouting out her praise for her Lord.  The music was phenomenal - love that organ/piano interplay which is a trademark of  great gospel music.  That and the vocals and she had 4 singers backing her up, and they all got a chance to show that they were every bit as good as she was.  I wondered if she might be handing off the lead now and then when she was feeling a little winded. She is not a young woman.  Each of those singers was equally talented (and blessed).  The bopping bald head you see in the video is none other than Paul Shaffer, who was front row for the entire 75 minute set, sometimes making his way to the other side to see what the organist was doing.  That's Tyler Yarema before Shirley, though I shout that at the end of the night - my night, anyway.  You will also hear a killer organ trio the Delvon Lamarr Trio - pronounced "Del-Vaughan"  I introduced the band after the assigned emcee couldn't do it and apparently I mispronounced it - not apparently, I got it wrong and he told me as je walked on the stage.  His manager/wife had tested me backstage to see if I said it correctly and I said it fine.  But then they made such a big deal about it that when I finally got on stage I had a little hesitation and then said it wrong - twice according to manager/wife.  Anyway I think they jinxed me by making such a big deal about it. His guitar player, Jimmy James did a rip-roaring solo, broke a string and just kept going.  After that are some clips from the next generation (ie hip-hop). the T-Dot Bangers, Shad, Odessey, and a young man who goes by Elaquent who was kind of a "tweener" (as they call them in folk festivals) set up on the side of the stage with a simple rig of a Roland smapler and an iPad with 4 appas running. I would love to work with him sometime.