CLIPS AND COMMENTARY FROM CANADA'S BEST KNOWN UNDISCOVERED OLD WHITE BLUESMAN

Sunday, September 29, 2019

Saturday at the Shuffle



I didn't have an official gig at the Southside Shuffle but I always go and this time I brought my guitar because Mark Stafford had invited me to sit in at his Saturday afternoon show with Jackson Mississippi's Chris Gill.  Another Mississippian, Stan Street got up and sang a couple of tunes - he does the artwork for the Shuffle and also has a storefront gallery/music venue in Clarksdale, Miss called the Hambone Gallery.  Nova Scotian Joe Murphy played a few tunes and I did a couple of blues standards and one of my new tunes, "I'm Not Fifty Anymore."  (ALERT: blatant self-promotion coming up).  A few days later I was at Sue Foley's gig at Hugh's Room and a woman came right up to me and said "I'm not fifty anymore! - I don't know your name nut I remember that song"  Always nice when that happens....but I digress.

After my session with "Bird," I put the guitar back in the car and did a little walkabout.  First thing I saw was Kim Doolittle and Chuckee Zehr doing "Angel of Montgomery" on the stage where I played last year.  Samantha Martin was on the big stage and rocked the house.  Then I caught a little bit of Lance Anderson's Tribute to Woodstock with Harrison Kennedy channeling Richie Havens.  Last thing I saw was Murray Porter on the "Indigenous" Stage (a first for the Shuffle)