CLIPS AND COMMENTARY FROM CANADA'S BEST KNOWN UNDISCOVERED OLD WHITE BLUESMAN

Thursday, July 13, 2023

Remembering Bob Segarini

 Lots of posts about Bob today.  He left his mark.  I didn't get to know him until I moved to Toronto in 1990.  We had crossed paths briefly in Montreal in the early 70s when we were both recording at André Perry's Studio in Montreal (the one that was in an old church - after Brossard and before Morin-Heights). And that is where my story begins...

Fast forward a couple of decades to Toronto. The first place I hung out was the Black Swan and on one of these occasions I was introduced to Bob Segarini.  I don't think I remembered him but he sure remembered me! In the middle of that packed room, when he heard my name he dropped to his knees doing "hail-to-the-chief" hand waving motions saying over and over "Don't Forget Your Mother, Don't Forget Your Mother, Don't Forget...etc" and when he finally got back on his feet he said "Come sit with me at the bar and have I got a story for you!"

It's a story I've never told (well maybe to a couple of mutual friends) - I always thought it was his to tell, but I will share it here now that he's gone.  Bob told me that back when were were both working at Andre Perry's Studio he had a "meeting of the eyes" with one of the back up singers who was working on my record, Laurel Massé.  Laurel and Janice Siegel were members of Manhattan Transfer and John Lissauer, the arranger/musical director on my sessions had flown them up from NY to sing back-up on "Don't Forget Your Mother" (the other vocalist were Sue Lothrop and Beverly Glenn Copeland).

Well Bob & Laurel met with more than their eyes in the secluded Producer Booth that had a small monitor speaker and overlooked the big room where we were recording. What ensued was a most intense bi-coastal romance that lasted a long time and ruined both their marriages... and the soundtrack was Brian Blain singing "Don't Forget Your Mother" which must have become a bit of an "ear-worm" for Bob.

We saw each other now and then at music events in Toronto and I got the feeling that every time he saw me, his mind was flooded with fond memories.  I enjoyed his blogging in recent years but I never got to hear him on the radio - it was before my time in Toronto.  He was the definition of "larger-than-life". We'll miss you Bob!