CLIPS AND COMMENTARY FROM CANADA'S BEST KNOWN UNDISCOVERED OLD WHITE BLUESMAN

Friday, June 17, 2016

2 amazing sets @NXNE tonight. King Khan was phenomenal but then I walked into @stateofSATE - fuckingonemal!


via Instagram @brianblain

NXNE has re-invented itself and kicked off with a conference on virtual reality and gaming (apparently that's the next big thing :-) It started with a speech  from Nolan Bushnell, founder of Atari and Steve Jobs' first boss (yes, he's the guy who turned down a one-third ownership of Apple for $50.000.) Had a disappointing first experience with virtual reality. Uncomfortable headset and glitchy software - they blamed it on a poor wi-fi signal but not ready for prime time.  It is one the market, but still needs a high-power desktop computer optimized for gaming.  It will trickle down like everything else technological. My friend Jordan was telling me about yet another VR conference taking place this week-end and he is pumped about this technology. I will wait and see.

Musically I didn't see anything till thurs and I was having a hard time getting out of the house. I really wanted to see King Khan - I remember lots of people raved about him and it was quite fabulous.  Big band with lots of horns and guitars and lots of energy. The horseshoe was packed solid. If I had made my way to the front before they started I never would have got there.

On my way to king khan, I got a taste of a group that my friend Barbara always loved (and I don't think it's just because of the name - they're called "Run with the kittens." Also heard a bit of two solo elctro-crooners. Singing along with tracks they produced - lots loft elaborate hand gestures. No attempt to "electronify" the vocals - it's like they wanted to be Michael BublĂ©.  Another hybrid - closer to karaoke than electronica.

Then, making my way back to the car I stop in at the Bovine and hear Sate (I think she pronounced it "saight") and was totally knocked out.  I knew Saida Baba Talibah had a great voice but she is killin it with this new band.  They started out with some sounds that were kinda "progressive" - chords I never heard - but then slipped into a hyper R 'n B groove that really raised the roof.  I'll never forget driving here mama (the legendary Salome Bey) to a rehearsal for the Women's Blues Revue.  Poor Salome, she was just starting to exhibit the symptoms of alzheimers and now according to her daughter is deep in dementia. So sad.

Now heading off to a Dan Mangan showcase at Sugar Beach.  I always liked what he was doing.