CLIPS AND COMMENTARY FROM CANADA'S BEST KNOWN UNDISCOVERED OLD WHITE BLUESMAN

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

International Blues Challenge

Well, this was my second attempt at competing in the International Blues Challenge eliminations and I have to report that once again, I was eliminated.  I thought I had a great set - I did all new tunes from the upcoming album and probably should have included at least one blues standard. And with the IBC contest you have to play exactly 20 minutes (and I was short a couple of minutes so I guess I penalized for that too).  Still I had a great reaction, especially gratifying from some folks who have known me for a long but never heard me "do my thing".  And Rose, who was doing the merch table told me about a gent who asked "Is Brian Blain on that compilation CD" and she had to say no (though I am on a couple of other Blues Society compilations). Then he asked if she had any Brian Blain CDs and once again she had to say "no".  So he went away....

I didn't think to bring any CDs and could have sold a few. The couple at the table where I sat wanted one.  So it was a great experience all around, but I have a good idea what they're looking for at the Finals in Memphis and and I think Brian Blain would always be too laid back for their liking.  But I did manage to entertain the folks at the Dakota and that's all I care about.

After my set, Sean Pinchin hit the stage with some jaw-dropping guitar pyrotechnics on his Martin and whoa....It was one of those moments when you get pushed back into your chair (in a good way!)  He puts out a lot of sound...and was very complimentary about my guitar sound. Sandra Bouza who won in the band category and came back after the presentation and I don't know if she was making it up on the spot but she rocked out on a tune about "Going to Memphis".  She's a show stopper as well. Toronto will be well represented in Memphis.