CLIPS AND COMMENTARY FROM CANADA'S BEST KNOWN UNDISCOVERED OLD WHITE BLUESMAN

Sunday, July 26, 2020

Campfire Cameo Nov 4, 2016 Joel George Koller, Alison Young, Michelle J...




Were going back in time to 2016, when I had moved the Campfire Jam to the venerable Old Mill in Toronto. They wanted to bring a little blues into the Home Smith Bar, which was strictly legit jazz until then. I called upon some blues friends and we were packing the place and the jazz regulars were loving it. I decided to push the envelope and got Joel to bring his electronica rig and I had my MIDI guitar and we pulled out all this stuff for the last set. It took our regular guests, Alison Young, George Koller and Michelle Josef a bit by surprise and nobody knew what to expect (including me). The electronica adventures has been my "guilty pleasure" for almost as long as I've been playing country blues but I didn't take it out very often and had gotten a little discouraged in the last year or so as I was even touching on some elements of artificial intelligence and machine learing to create a "hyper-looper" and my computer just doesn't have the power to do these things. I have dumbed it down so that it doesn't crap out if I tell it what key I'm in and only use one MIDI channel at a time (I started out with a different channel for each of 6 strings). All this to say I fired it up last night and Joel and I had a (distanced) jam and I'm going to noodle away on after the Campfire Cameo for anyone who wants to stick around.